Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Yan Zhi's Reflection for Food Safety Package 1

Firstly, I would like to thank my team mates for all the effort. Despite of the hectic schedule we had, we manage to meet up a few times for the group discussion. We split up the work that has to be done individually and also met up as a group to compile the work. Through this project, I realized the importance of responsibility and accountability. Without these, the whole project would not have been passed up on time.

The knowledge that I have gained through this package one, was about retort technology and the modifications of process steps in order to the requirements. We were taught on HACCP and decision tree during the previous semesters, so it was easier to understand the rationale before all the tables that we have to do. Before this package one, I have never heard about retort technology and its’ advantages. As we began researching on how retorting works, I was quite amazed by the productivity and shelf-life of food sealed in retort pouches. Therefore it was quite a challenge for my group to identify the three critical control points (CCPs). Because when the food goes through the retorting process, chances of pathogens surviving will be reduced to the minimum. After much discussion and research, we decided to include sealing and metal detector as our CCPs.

For package two, the case given was much more difficult. Despite the circumstance, our group will put in more effort to complete the project with quality work. I believe through all the research and discussion, we will be about to learn further more than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment