Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Jia En's Reflection for Food Safety Package 1

I feel that Food safety was a challenging one compared to the two other PBL subject we had before due to the fact that all of us are attached to different placement for our SIP meaning different working schedule so it is difficult for us to meet up. With our different busy schedules as our one of our obstacle, we managed to minimize the obstacle by using the online blackboard system and MSN to discuss our project progress. We even find time out of the hectic schedule to meet up once in a while as we believed that more progress is sustained when we get to meet up and explain things out. Having experienced the PBL subject system through our previous subjects, we had become more independent in our research-searching for our own resources available in many areas (from reference books in library to internet and even to asking our colleagues at work). Tasks were distributed among us by our leader Jiayi, and then we will meet up and consolidate our ideas.

Last time I used to be someone who would easily agree with the majority. But now, I have learnt to voice out my views to the group, even if the things that I said is not agreeable among the group, I accept their feedbacks in not accepting the idea. I feel that I have learnt more things from the ‘mini’ debate that we have when we finalized something. From the different ideas and objections contribute/raised by each member of the group, we would try to utilize all the ideas by combining them to produce a better report.

The first package for Food Safety was mainly about HACCP and product recall. HACCP serves as a recap for us. Last time when I do the FPQA package, the idea of HACCP appeared to be vague in my memory due to the less heavy content of HACCP in that package. However, after doing and researching more about it for package 1, I am more familiar with the HACCP system and the different processes that are involved. Before this package, I did not know that all food product companies should have a food product recall team to perform the necessary procedures in case of emergency such as food poisoning cases. Now I can tell the procedures that a company will take should such cases will to occur and the different classes and levels of recalls involved.

Through working six full shifts a week and managing of a four credit PBL subject, I learn to prioritize my workload in a more effective way. With the cooperation from each and every individual of the group, we managed to overcome all obstacles and qualify for the exemplary tables for this very first package. We will continue to motivate and encourage each other to work hard for our remaining “Food Safety” journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment